Wednesday, December 10, 2014

About The Cottage

The Cottage ~ a Manufactured Home Remodel

After eleven years of renting, and the last 6 were in a 900 square foot apartment, I decided it was time to buy a house. My list of requirements were simple: reasonably priced small cottage style home; fireplace; large kitchen; space for a garden and fruit trees.

It appeared I was asking for the moon! Reasonably priced meant run down and in need of major construction or it meant a very compact cookie cutter town house; neither of which were what I wanted to be “stuck-in” with a 30-year mortgage…and then it hit me: I didn’t want a mortgage!

I began looking at older manufactured homes that I could pay cash for. I wanted a double-wide and a unique floorplan that allowed me to make renovations to convert it into my dream cottage. I looked at a lot of homes with a lot of problems. Just when I thought about putting the whole idea on hold, I stumbled across a gated community that was home to my future cottage.

The Cottage, as I now call her, is a 1979 Fleetwood. She has 1,744 square feet with a living room, formal dining room, family room, fireplace (which had been converted to a pellet stove), kitchen (with a built-in Bosch oven and microwave), large laundry room (new large standing freezer included), guest bath, 2 large spare rooms, and a master suite with a walk-in closet, soaker tub and separate shower.

The outside boasts a large covered front porch that overlooks a huge garden. The driveway, which is almost the full length of the house, is enclosed on 3 sides so I will never have to shovel snow off it! In addition there is a 10×10 workshop with a window and electricity.

The back yard holds 2 fruit trees (there were 4 but 2 were removed because they died) and a large Concord grape arbor!

The Cottage is everything I wished for and more!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful! We bought a home in a terrific town but are struggling to keep everything up. I love your blog and what you have done with your cottage!

 

Premier Sponsor

Newsletter Signup

Connect with Me

Premier Sponsor ~ Aimee's Ghost



DESIGN BY: THE BLOG DECORATOR